Monday, October 25, 2010

Finally crossed off my list!

This is the apron from my to-do list:
I finally finished it and I am really happy with how it turned out. I made the bias- tape myself and it looks very good :)

The photos are terrible's just been really cold and not very sunny.

This is an apron I made two years ago. It was made for a friend's son as a Christmas present but that year we didn't exchange gifts because they went abroad and we didn't meet up before they went, so I put it in the closet and forgot about it. But I recently found it and decided to let my son Tryggvi have it. He really loves Cars, especially Lightning McQueen.

It is not as well made as my new apron, but it is fun and he likes it.
We both wore our aprons the other day when we made these:
Some were decorated with spiderwebs, other were aliens-themed:

And a few were just plain old messy:
I always think they look the best that way ;)

I knitted this hat on Wednesday and Tryggvi wore it to kindergarten on Thursday. I took this photo on the way home on Thursday, but since then I have added a fleece lining and some ties. I also made him fleece lined mittens that he took to kindergarten today (but forgot to snap a photo first) and now it's snowing:)

Monday, October 11, 2010

Not perfect - but I love it!

I started this Christmas tablecloth in 2008 and finished piecing the top in October that year.

It is a really beautiful design by Guðný Valgerður Ingvarsdóttir and made with wonderful fabrics that I got from

I never finished it because I didn't like how it went together, and actually thought that I was no good at piecing...until I found out that my sewing machine doesn't always start with the needle in the middle, sometimes it is 1/8th of an inch to the side, and that can make all the difference when putting together a quilt!
It has imperfections (see above photo) but I decided to finish it anyway. It was my first big piecing project and now it has also been my first machine quilting project. I had machine quilted around all the red stars and two flowers when I was comfortable with my machine quilting, so I picked up all the stitches and did them all again!

I absolutely love it and I do hope that the imperfections are not too I can't wait until Christmas to show it off!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Drawstring car sack

Here is a little sack that I made for my boy to keep his cars in:I made it from the legs of a pair of jeans that had been turned into shorts and a cool car fabric I found at Virka, the local quilt shop. The "T" is just sewed on with raw edges. I'm hoping it will look cool once the edges start to fray. It has a lining with the car fabric as well and the drawstring is simply 3 long strips folded lengthwise with right side out and braided together.
Tryggvi loves it so... Mission accomplished!

Saturday, October 2, 2010

First attempt

This is my first attempt at free-motion machine quilting:
It is one of five flowers in a Christmas tablecloth I made two years ago, but I never finished it because I wasn't sure how to quilt it. Now I have been teaching myself how to machine quilt and I decided to stitch in the ditch. It was really hard, until I got myself a pair of quilting gloves.
These seams have all been removed now because I was sewing too small stitches, very often went out of the "ditch" and I do not like this multicolored thread on this piece since the white on the red background and the dark on the light background makes it look sloppy.
I will show you the final quilted tabletopper when it is finished :)